5/07/2008

Add new content to your blog using a weekly Ta-Da! list?

Yes, Ta-da list not "To Do" list. I found out the difference in Shawn Driscoll's article: "Your 5 step plan to Turn Your To Do List Into a Ta-Da! List." Basically, it's a results focused list as opposed to a task-focused list. When you write out the result you expect from that task, you can see if it's worth your time and if it's part of your vision. If it's not worth your time and has very little to do with your vision, you simply delagate or use technology to do it for you.

How can I use a Ta-Da list when I manage a blog? Will it save me time? Worry?

You bet! You already know how to write a to-do list. Probably 10, and have the nagging feeling it won't all get done today. Then start wishing a day had more than 24 hours a day :)

I used to write a list of to do things for my day. Only 3 would get done. A few items would take days to complete. I didn't even mind regrettingly say 'well, next month I'll get around to it." That's not a very successful entrepreneur mindset, right? After reading that article I realized that I didn't even know why I had "to do" some of these things. I focused on the small picture with the to do list and no longer knew clearly what the big picture was. Now it's: Is it a high payoff activity for me? No. Can I get someone else to do it for me? Yes I'll see what it takes.

Problem:
-- Need to write new, interesting content 3 to 5 times a week

Let's say you have a blog and run across a problem: need to write new, interesting content 3 to 5 times a week. Don't know when and if it will get done the end of the week. By thinking "I have to write a new post today," you can quickly lose track of the big picture and long-term goals of your blog.

Solution:
-- How a ta-da! list can help you see the big picture, save time and automate this task.

My Ta-Da! list of updating the blog:
By the end of the week, Friday or Sunday,

1) Helpful content for readers: 3 posts about solutions to a reader's problem
2) Build a relationship of trust and likability with visitors: 2 short fun posts and pictures about something in your weekend or daily routine you'd like to share, e.g. events, celebrations, books reading, music listening to. Martha Stewart posts pictures of some of her staff in their daily routine, and events she goes to.

See how it's the results first? Not a general "write a post on this specific topic."


Save time
-- Automate it using an Excel spreadsheet

Now, see the big picture by putting these 2 tasks in your excel spreadsheet, 7 columns for each day, add a number in the day to tell you the number of posts you'll write. Choose which days you'd like to write and publish your posts. You don't need to do it by yourself. Get an accountability partner or share this weekly ta-da list with the group in your coaching program.

It can look like this:

days ........Mon................. Tue ...........Wed.................. Th....... Fri.................. Sat.... Sun
posts .....1 weekend....... 1 fun.......... 1 useful info.................. 2 useful info.....
time ..... 15 min .............15 min .......40 min.......................... 50 minutes .....

Once you write it down, you can free your mind about the issue: "write new content on blog" You know which days you need to write and publish it. On other days you can focus on other blog issues like cross-posting, keywords, traffic analytics...

Save even more time
-- Set the "publish" date to the following week

Let's say you're "in the zone" and have 2 or 3 great articles or tips to share. Why not write it in your blog and set it to be published within 3 days or 7 days. When you're working on a project or will be away, you know you already have a post ready to be published.

I started writing this ta-da! list for my blog and it really clears up my mind from clutter.

Have you tried a ta-da! list to manage your blog?


To implement more time-saving marketing tips like this visit the Ultimate Wealth and Success Circle

No comments: